Reconditioning After Illness
A variety of conditions can cause weakness, deconditioning, decreased flexibility, and decreased balance. All of these can contribute to higher fall risks and decreased safety with functional mobility.
Some common reasons for these impairments may include:
- Conditions related to aging
- Weakness due to deconditioning or illness related to hospital stay
- Cancer-related fatigue and weakness
Through Southeastern Health Care at Home’s (SE) Reconditioning After Illness Program, therapists identify and treat all of these impairments to restore the patient’s highest level of safety and independence.
Common treatments may include:
- Home Safety Evaluation to identify any changes that can be made to increase the patient’s safety
- Stretching to restore normal movements which will allow better balance and walking patterns
- Strengthening programs to improve function
- Treatments to decrease dizziness or vertigo
- Techniques and training to work on body systems that control balance